[Koha] SQL queries to delete records from the database?

Mark Tompsett mtompset at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 23 17:37:48 NZST 2012

Greetings,

Did I hear someone say 'recurrent index problems'?
I think this means I should repaste my indexing journey here.
This was on an Ubuntu 10.04 LTS VM with only 512MB of memory. As such, your
mileage may vary. And if there is something wrong in here, someone can
comment and correct me.

--- BEGIN POST FROM ZEBRA LIST ---
Greetings,

I am sharing this in hopes that this helps people who are frustrated trying
to figure out why Zebra indexing is not working for them.

When I initially did a standard install, I ran the full reindex as root.
This was a mistake! This created a whole bunch of files with root.root as
the owner.group in the subdirectories of the /var/lib/koha/zebradb/
directory. I corrected this problem with:

adminuser$ sudo chown –R –v koha.koha /var/lib/koha/zebradb

This, however, did not solve the problem. It was then suggested that I
restart the koha-zebra-daemon (Thanks to jcamins):

adminuser$ sudo service koha-zebra-daemon restart

This corrected the problem temporarily, and everything was running as koha
(the crontab to do a full reindex, etc.)

adminuser$ sudo cat /etc/cron.d/koha
[it had ‘koha’ in the ‘run as this user’ column]
adminuser$ ps aux | grep zebra
koha     11635  0.0  1.3  99632  7192 ?        S    10:40   0:00
/usr/bin/zebrasrv -v none,fatal,warn -f /etc/koha/koha-conf.xml
koha     12563  0.0  0.1  18296   584 ?        Ss   Jun29   0:00
daemon --name=koha-zebra-ctl.kohadata --errlog=/var/log/koha/koha-zebradaemon.err
 --stdout=/var/log/koha/koha-zebradaemon.log --output=/var/log/koha/koha-zebradaemon-output.log
 --verbose=1 --respawn --delay=30 -- /usr/bin/zebrasrv -v none,fatal,warn -f
/etc/koha/koha-conf.xml
adminuser 12722  0.0  0.1   6160   680 pts/0    S+   11:49   0:00
grep --color=auto zebra

However, our VM was running low on memory (512MB total) and full indexes
were triggering out of memory problems. I found that stopping the apache
server, doing the full reindex, restarting the koha-zebra-daemon and then
starting the apache server allowed for a successful reindex and searching to
work properly.

adminuser$ sudo service apache2 stop
adminuser$ sudo su – koha
koha$ cd /usr/share/koha/bin/migration_tools
koha$ echo $KOHA_CONF
[this better be set correctly]
koha$ echo $PERL5LIB
[this better be set correctly]
koha$ ./rebuild_zebra –b –a –r –v
[long indexing/exporting output which could take several hours – DO THIS
AFTER HOURS!! – unless it is currently broken]
koha$ exit
adminuser$ sudo service apache2 start

How did I know we were having memory problems? I opened a secondary window
and watched while reindexing, and I noticed some errors in the logs
adminuser$ free –m –s 1
[output snipped]
^C
adminuser$ cd /var/log/koha
adminuser$ grep memory *
[you’ll recognize the problem when you see the output]

If you don’t have swap and can turn it on, do so. This is left as an
exercise for sysadmin administrators.

I don’t know why I have to restart the koha-zebra-daemon after a
full-reindex, but I’m hoping to get a memory bump to 1GB from 512MB, and
then not have to stop apache. We sadly, can not turn on swap.

Anyways, I hope this helps someone somewhere. Also, if someone can explain
why I need to restart the koha-zebra-daemon after a full reindex even as
koha, that would be appreciated too. I was thinking that perhaps the daemon
has filehandles open when the files are deleted, and so the filehandles it
has are stale?

GPML,
Mark Tompsett
--- END POST FROM ZEBRA LIST ---