[Koha] Install for Dummies

Paul paul.a at aandc.org
Sun Jan 22 13:35:35 NZDT 2012

Having experienced a few glitches ourselves, here are some extracts from
our "cheat sheet" (nelson is the name of our Debian/Ubuntu server with Koha
3.6.1 installed and happily working):

*** do mysql dump FIRST ***
*** do not go near link_bibs_to_authorities.pl ***

paul at nelson:/$ cd /usr/share/koha

Now su to the proper user:

paul at nelson:/usr/share/koha$ su koha

Now for the authorities (note include envars on command line)

koha at nelson:/usr/share/koha$ KOHA_CONF=/etc/koha/koha-conf.xml
PERL5LIB=/usr/share/koha/lib ./bin/migration_tools/rebuild_zebra.pl -a -r -v

Lastly, biblios (note -x without which the rebuild fails)

koha at nelson:/usr/share/koha$ KOHA_CONF=/etc/koha/koha-conf.xml
PERL5LIB=/usr/share/koha/lib ./bin/migration_tools/rebuild_zebra.pl -b -r -v -x

Best - Paul

At 12:17 PM 1/21/2012 -0500, Chris Nighswonger wrote:
>Hi Bruce,
>
>The correct paths for your installation would have been given in the notes
>produced at the end of running Makefile.PL (not sure where this would show
>up if you used the deb packages). These paths will *have* to be correct in
>order for Koha related cli scripts to run properly. Perhaps someone more
>familiar with the deb packages could help if that is, indeed, what you used.
>
>If the paths you selected are correct, then I'm out of ideas for the moment.
>
>Kind Regards,
>Chris
>

>On Sat, Jan 21, 2012 at 10:16 AM, Bruce A Metcalf
><<mailto:Consuls at augustansociety.org>Consuls at augustansociety.org> wrote:
>Chris Nighswonger wrote:
>Have a read at these FAQ's:
>
><http://koha-community.org/documentation/faq/searching/>http://koha-community.org/documentation/faq/searching/
>
>Pay careful attention to the solution for question #4. It appears you've
>not exported the proper env vars.
>

>It sounds like you're recommending:
>
>1. Check that you are exporting the two environmental variables
>necessary to run Koha scripts from the command line. These are (modify
>to fit paths on your system):
>PERL5LIB=/path/to/koha
>KOHA_CONF=/path/to/koha-conf.xml
>

>Which sounds not unreasonable. I set:
>
>KOHA_CONF=/etc/koha/koha-conf.xml
>
>Which seems reasonable. I then set:
>
>PERL5LIB=/usr/share/koha/lib
>
>I chose this because the failure message for
><http://rebuild_zebra.pl>rebuild_zebra.pl claims it can't locate
>C4/Context.pm in @INC, which includes /etc/perl, and where that file can
>be found.
>
>It would appear that these choices were incorrect, or that I've made some
>other important error, as these two changes make no change in the failure
>message when I run <http://rebuild_zebra.pl>rebuild_zebra.pl.
>
>I *did* warn y'all I was a newbie....
>
>With thanks,
>
>/ Bruce /
>Bruce A. Metcalf
>Library Director
>The Augustan Society Library
>
>On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 9:01 PM, Bruce Metcalf
><<mailto:bruce.metcalf at figzu.com>bruce.metcalf at figzu.com
><mailto:bruce.metcalf at figzu.com>> wrote:
>   Eric Bégin wrote:
>Â  Â  Â  Â  Â  Â All three commands fail with a variety of messages, but all
>Â  Â  Â  Â  Â  Â include "file not found".
>Â  Â  Â  Â Indeed, that doesn't look good.
>Â  Â  Â  Â Can you provide the full output of the rebuild_zebra -b -r -v
>Â  Â bruce at library:/usr/share/__koha4/bin/migration_tools$
>Â  Â <http://rebuild_zebra.pl>rebuild_zebra.pl <http://rebuild_zebra.pl>
>-b -r -v
>Â  Â Can't locate Koha.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /etc/perl
>Â  Â /usr/local/lib/perl/5.10.1 /usr/local/share/perl/5.10.1 /usr/lib/perl5
>Â  Â /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.10 /usr/share/perl/5.10
>Â  Â /usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at
> [...]

---
Maritime heritage and history, preservation and conservation,
research and education through the written word and the arts.
<http://UltraMarine.ca>, <http://AandC.org> and <http://MarDoc.ca>