[Koha] US-Centric question - SOPA/PIPA protest blackout on k-c.org tomorrow (US time)?

Kohn, Karen kohnk at arcadia.edu
Wed Jan 18 08:47:42 NZDT 2012

MJ, Kyle, and others
Check out http://sopablackout.org/  It has a black screen that says "
This is what the web could look like under the Stop Online Piracy
Act."Underneath it says "Click anywhere to continue."  The site
provides code
that you can use to have the same effect on any other site, i.e. a black
screen that lets you click anywhere to get to the real site.  It makes a
statement but does not prevent people from accessing the site.

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 2:43 PM, Kyle Hall <kyle.m.hall at gmail.com> wrote:

> Instead of a complete blackout, a new front page explaining the
> SOPA/PIPA issue with a click-though to the standard site would be a
> reasonable compromise. I certainly don't want to sound US-centric, but
> it seems that US policy often has world-wide ramifications ( often
> negative ) and it's probably in the best interest of every Internet
> user anywhere that SOPA/PIPA don't become law.
>
> Kyle
>
> http://www.kylehall.info
> Mill Run Technology Solutions ( http://millruntech.com )
> Crawford County Federated Library System ( http://www.ccfls.org )
> Meadville Public Library ( http://www.meadvillelibrary.org )
>

> On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 2:22 PM, MJ Ray <mjr at phonecoop.coop> wrote:
> > Liz Rea <lrea at nekls.org>
> >> It would be easy to participate in the SOPA/PIPA web blackout protest
> tomorrow on koha-community.org, should we?
> >>
> >> Good idea? Bad idea?
> >
> > If this means taking the websites offline, then I feel it's an awful
> > idea for many reasons: firstly, it's self-harm, hurting our friends
> > and not directly affecting our opponents; secondly, US websites didn't
> > protest or go offline while Brits were fighting EUCD, RIPA, IPRED and
> > so on (solidarity is not a one-way street and I see no prospect that
> > US websites will go offline for future foreign issues); it
> > demonstrates that the web can survive without those who oppose; and
> > probably more reasons I've not thought of quickly.
> >
> > Protest banners/posts: +1
> >
> > Defeating ourselves with a blackout: -1
> >
> > Hope that explains,
> > --