[Koha] Signing On

Steve Campbell stephen.t.campbell at Dartmouth.EDU
Fri Feb 24 08:25:16 NZDT 2012

Greetings.

As suggested in the list's welcome message, I am introducing myself as a new subscriber to the list.

My name is Steve Campbell, and I am a trustee of the Converse Free Library in Lyme, New Hampshire, in the US. We are a small public library: about 1,400 patrons and 25,000 items in our catalog. We have a full-time director, two part-time assistants, and a couple dozen volunteers. We also host the school library for our town's K-8 public school. We are open 6 days a week for a total of 36 hours per week.

We are in the process of migrating from InfoCentre, hosted on our own server, to Koha 3.6.2, hosted by Bywater Solutions. We are currently learning Koha on a test system set up by Bywater. We plan to go live in June.

My own background is in Unix computer system administration and network management. I retired a few years ago. I am a believer in the principals of open source. I do not have a background in library science (but I'm learning!). In addition to my normal duties as a trustee, I spend a lot of time at the library managing the eight public computers (we pay a Windows professional to support the server and staff desktops), troubleshooting any computer or network problems, and generally being the available to answer questions. During the migration to Koha, I have been busy learning the system and helping the staff explore and configure it for our needs.

I look forward to contributing to this community when I can and asking for help when I must.

Steve