[Koha] items that are lost, fees assessed, and then found

James Ghiorzi JGhiorzi at cosb.us
Sat Feb 18 16:48:43 NZDT 2012

Hi Lori,

I did a test case and came up with more of a mystery than an answer.  The thing I did was I checked a book out.  Than marked it as lost through the edit item interface, and it applied the cost of the book to the patron account.  I checked the book back in but no credit was issued.  So I than checked the item back out, and put a lost fine in the account/fines detail section of the patron account.  I than waived the amount, checked the item in, and the system issued a credit for the item, but since I had waived the fine the patron was owed a credit at that point.

So I guess there is really no slick way to do this other than to mark the book as lost in the edit item interface.  If the patron turns it back in it will issue a message telling you that it was lost.  Than at that point I'd imagine the patron would want some sort of refund, so you should be able to get their card, or surname, or at the very least do a little research under the item barcode hyper-text link and get their account straightened out.

Hope that helps,

James Ghiorzi
Library Assistant II
San Benito County Free Library