[Koha] 3.8 Authorities - need help with see references

Jared Camins-Esakov jcamins at cpbibliography.com
Tue Aug 28 06:31:52 NZST 2012

Elaine,

First, I'd like to say I appreciate the finer grain control the new version
> has as far as creating authorities goes.
>
> But. . . and this is a problem I had in earlier versions as well - I still
> can't get my see references to display properly.
>
> When you search on the correct term the references to incorrect forms are
> displayed.
> for example:
> Topical Term: World War, 1914-1918
> used for/see from: WW I
> used for/see from: World War I
>
> But that's not very useful if someone is searching on the incorrect form.
>
> In fact, if you search on the incorrect form in authorities it displays
> what is intended as a see reference as if it were an authorized heading,
> and does not list the reference to the authorized version.  I've resorted
> to adding [Not Used] to the incorrect form 1XX field.
>
> Example: Topical Term: WW I [Not Used]

I'm a little baffled by this example. It sounds like you have authorized
non-authorized forms with their own authority records, even for simple
references? As a general rule,  "See" reference should be coded as a "See
from" reference in a 4xx field in the record for the established heading.
260 fields are used for complex references (which this is not, so far as I
can tell), but at present Koha does not support authority records for
non-established headings. There hasn't been sufficient interest, so far as
I know. Ordinary "See" references are searched by using "Search all
headings" (in the authorities module) or by using the "Anywhere" or
"Heading match" boxes in the authority linker plugin (the first does
keyword search, the second matches headings). A patch for adding the
ability to search entries other than the main entry in the OPAC has passed
QA, but not yet been pushed to master.

You have to click on Details see what heading is authorized, and then it
> displays in tiny type above the authority record, with no explanation.
> Here's the 260 for this heading:
> 260 ## - COMPLEX SEE REFERENCE--SUBJECT
>   a Heading referred to World War, 1914-1918
>
>   5 Institution code UKLoVW
>
> Note: I have entered a $0 with the record number for the correct heading,
> set it to display in the MARC framework, but it still doesn't display
> unless you are actually editing the authority record.
>

> I have gotten lost in the maze of MARC format for authorities and don't
> know which way is up anymore. I think I've got the 008 for the see
> references set correctly. Tried everything I could think of, but it still
> isn't working.  Has anyone gotten see references to work? And if so, could
> you show me what you did?

Alas, everyone who looks at the MARC format for authorities gets sucked
into a maze of twisty little passages, all alike. I hope this helped
clarify a bit.

Regards,
Jared

P.S. This message was only about "See from" references. "See also"
references are a different kettle of fish, and one that requires a number
of patches that haven't been pushed to Koha yet.

--
Jared Camins-Esakov
Bibliographer, C & P Bibliography Services, LLC
(e-mail) jcamins at cpbibliography.com
(web) http://www.cpbibliography.com/