[Koha] help for debian partition for koha

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Thu Aug 23 05:36:13 NZST 2012

Ram asked:
> I am new to Debian and Koha, Can you guide me for space allocation in Debian
> Partition?

Not really.  It's a matter of judgement.  If you'd like to take a go,
there's a whole appendix in the Debian installation guide at
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/apcs03.html.en
or the equivalent for your system.

  "For new users, personal Debian boxes, home systems, and other
  single-user setups, a single / partition (plus swap) is probably the
  easiest, simplest way to go. However, if your partition is larger
  than around 6GB, choose ext3 as your partition type."

(I think this is what debian's installer tries to do, too.)

  "In general, the partitioning situation varies from computer to
  computer depending on its uses."

There is also a link to the Multi-Disk HOWTO which goes into much more
detail.  I'd not worry about it too much, make some reasonable guess
and put it in your diary (or the task scheduler) to check how much
disk is actually being used.

Hope that helps,