[Koha] Completeness of records for importing

franc at library.iisc.ernet.in franc at library.iisc.ernet.in
Wed Aug 22 20:51:17 NZST 2012

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012, Fischer, Katrin wrote:

> Hi Francis,
>
> I would recommend against changing the zebra configuration and mapping
> of fields. It will most likely cause you some problems later on like
> keeping your customizations on every update and making more changes as
> new features get build on the data in those fields.
>
> Normally you would store the year in 2 fields, in 260$c you are more flexible. Data here can contain something like "c2012" - alphanumerical.
> In 008 you normally store a normalized year in 4 numbers. This will be used  by Koha for features like the date range search in advanced search.
> I am not sure how MarcEdit can do that, as I am only using the basic features, but maybe someone else can help you here.
>
> Hope this makes sense,
>
> Katrin

Hi Katrin, Thank you for your observations. And, thanks to all the others
who been providing very useful tips to my original posting. I, now, have a
better understanding of the field 008 particularly its positions 07-10.

I'm still very much in the testing phase. Will take a decision about
using the 008 field once I'm ready for the production system.

Best, Francis

believed to be clean.