[Koha] Database timeouts with patron updates

Tom Hanstra tom at nd.edu
Thu Apr 26 05:35:52 NZST 2012

I'm hoping someone might have some ideas for us...

We've just lately been running into problems with database timeouts when
making changes to patron records.  We did not run into this until just
recently, and I don't know what we may have changed to cause this.

The errors we receive are like the following:

[Wed Apr 25 12:31:36 2012] [error] [client 10.41.63.254] [Wed Apr 25
12:31:36 2012] memberentry.pl: DBD::mysql::st execute failed: Lock wait
timeout exceeded; try restarting transaction at
/shared/lupprod/soft/lib/C4/SQLHelper.pm line 213., referer:
https://lup.library.nd.edu:8443/cgi-bin/koha/members/memberentry.pl?op=modify&borrowernumber=1&category_type=S

[Wed Apr 25 13:10:14 2012] [error] [client 10.41.63.254] [Wed Apr 25
13:10:14 2012] memberentry.pl: DBD::mysql::st execute failed: Lock wait
timeout exceeded; try restarting transaction at
/shared/lupprod/soft/lib/C4/Members/Messaging.pm line 155., referer:
https://lup.library.nd.edu:8443/cgi-bin/koha/members/memberentry.pl?op=modify&borrowernumber=1&category_type=S

and I was able to see at the database level locks on both the borrowers
table and the borrower_message_preferences table while at least one
transaction was being attempted.

Anyone have an idea of what might be going on?

Thanks,
Tom

      Tom Hanstra                              Systems Administrator
      Hesburgh Libraries of Notre Dame         Phone: (574)631-4686
      213 Hesburgh Library                     Email: tom at nd.edu
      Notre Dame, IN  46556

   "Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in
    the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at
    least twice as fast as that!"
                           Lewis Carroll - Through the Looking Glass