[Koha] Custom call-number schemes

Elaine Bradtke eb at efdss.org
Tue Apr 24 06:09:47 NZST 2012

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 7:00 AM, Peter Aronson <
dgllibrary+kohalist at peteraronson.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We're a very specialized library dealing with a very narrow range of
> subjects, so we've created our own classification/call-number system. I'd
> just like to make sure we're doing it right: We've created something like
> CALLNUM as an authorized values category, and then we're putting our
> general call number heading (e.g. BC1100) as the Authorized Value, and then
> "Reference--Dictionaries" as the Description and the Description (OPAC).
> And then we've mapped CALLNUM as a mandatory field on our Marc framework.
>
> Does it sound like we're doing this the right way?

I can't say if it's right or wrong, but it is different to what we do (also
a small specialized library with our own classification system).

We put our call numbers in 099 a; 942 h, and under ItemCall number in the
item record.  Possibly unnecessarily redundant, but it displays the way we
want it to, so that's why we do it.

I wonder if  "Reference--Dictionaries"  is really a location, and as such
should be set up in the item record under c- Shelving location.  This way
if you have a reference copy and another copy that's shelved somewhere
else, the individual item records will reflect that.
In our case we've got half a dozen store rooms in different parts of the
building, locked cupboards, a safe, and. . .  you get the picture.  They're
all set up as Shelving locations.
I might add, for security reasons, the display in the OPAC only says
storage, while the staff interface gives the exact location.  Just a tiny
attempt to foil would be book thieves who might take an interest in some of
our rarer items.

Hope this helps
--
Elaine Bradtke