[Koha] marc framework and importing records

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Thu Apr 19 21:18:15 NZST 2012

smurfett at gmail.com
> We're a small school library and don't really need all the fields used in
> MARC records.  But I would like to import my marc records using the import
> perl script.  I was wondering, if I edit the BOOK MARC framework for
> example, and delete fields that we don't really care about (for example the
> 00 fields?) will I run into a problem when I import records?

Probably not, but I think the usual way is to set up new frameworks
and leave the full ones there.  The import script can (must? check it!)
use the default framework, which is another way out.

> Put another way, if I import records all from the Library of Congress for
> example, using the import script, will the script fail if the field is not
> defined in my framework?

I think the answer is: no, but it may behave slightly strangely
when you edit the record or need you to use the default
framework to edit all the fields.  Nothing should break as a result
of this, though.

Hope that informs,