[Koha] [Koha-devel] Performance of Koha and usage of remote MySQL server

Fridolyn SOMERS fridolyn.somers at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 19:43:59 NZST 2012

Hie,

You have to consider it with the number of users connected at the same time.

For earch user connected :
MySQL server will require some CPU, a lot of RAM and some hard disk
performance.
Apache will need good CPU performance (to execute Perl).

So it depends on your hardware.
If you have simple dual-core systems with feew RAM, you should use a
dedicated server for MySQL.
It will be performant to serve many users, but with some waiting time.

If you have a big multi-core system with lot of RAM, you can use one server.
In this case, you may use a dedicated hard disk for MySQL, to have a good
read/write performance.

In addition, I think CPU frequency is important to have a fast
compilation+execution of Perl script.

In conclusion, I'd say that the problem should be cured at its source.
I mean that the number of SQL queries and cache systems should be optimized
in Koha code.
I think that database should always be on a dedicated server, it is nearly
an OS itself and needs all hardware resources.

PS : have a look at PCI Express 10Gb/s Ethernet cards.

Best regards,