[Koha] New to the list-- questions about BISAC

Rachel Hollis Rachel.Hollis at stevenshenager.edu
Tue Sep 20 08:21:58 NZST 2011

Welcome! My experience is with DDC, LC and a unique classification schemes. I would think that you'd use MARC 084 for the BISAC classification. I imagine that you will have to input the BISAC classification into each record but other than that, it should be fairly straight-forward. If you use MARC 084 for BISAC, you'll want to map the items to 084.

The Koha Manual (http://koha-community.org/documentation/3-4-manual-en/?ch=c18#catprefs) 1.1.4.2.2 DefaultClassificationSource states that classification sources are as follows:
ANSCR (Sound Recordings)
Dewey Decimal Classification
Library of Congress Classification
Other/Generic Classification Scheme
SuDoc Classification (U.S. GPO)
Universal Decimal Classification

Koha items may be mapped to MARC fields. The Koha Manual (http://koha-community.org/documentation/3-4-manual-en/?ch=x4912#kohamarcmapping) 1.4.6. Classification Sources states MARC call numbers appear in 050, 074, 082, 084, 086, 090 and 092.

I hope this helps!

Rachel Hollis, librarian
Stevens-Henager College, Boise & Nampa Idaho