[Koha] [Koha-devel] Commentary on Paul's Koha 3.8 Release Manager proposal

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Thu Sep 15 10:51:43 NZST 2011

Ian Walls <ian.walls at bywatersolutions.com> [...]
> The major disagreement is with the timeline.  The proposal as it stands is
> to start working on Koha 3.8 and Koha 4.0 in parallel, with Koha 3.8
> releasing April 2012, and Koha 4.0 releasing Oct. 2012.  I feel that going
> from Koha 3.8 directly to 4.0 is unwarranted.  To my mind, there are many
> possible releases between 3.8 and 4.0, like 3.10, 3.12, 3.14 and so forth.
> This is supported by the actual database version numbers in Koha: the
> current release is actually 3.04.04; the zeros are squashed out for
> convenience. [...]

A minor disagreement is with the platform.  Paul's proposal seems to
be for 3.8 and 4.0 RM, yet there's very little detail on 4.0 because
the community discussion hasn't really started: lots of great features
suggested, some scary changes, but not much agreed.  Let's agree the
RM for 3.8 and then when the next release rolls around, then let's see
what we want to do then?

In general, I'm fine with folding into 3.x progressively.  Seems
like a good idea.  (Now find me more libraries so I can spend
more time on it... ;-) )

Regards,
Webmaster, Debian Developer, Past Koha RM, statistician, former lecturer.
Available for hire for various work through http://www.software.coop/