[Koha] [Koha-devel] Plea for help from Horowhenua Library Trust re: Koha

Joann Ransom jransom at library.org.nz
Tue Nov 22 12:21:59 NZDT 2011

Hi everyone,

Thank you so much for your speedy and supportive replies ... I'm feeling a
little less despairing now :)

I have set up a PayPal account for gathering funds towards mounting a legal
challenge. It is a separate account from the HLT
 operating accounts and I am very happy to give a community representative
access to the records etc.

So here it is:
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=FQ6JH3L48LV5Y

And thanks :)

Cheers Jo.

On 22 November 2011 12:09, Christopher Nighswonger <
chris.nighswonger at gmail.com> wrote:

> By all means setup a donations page... quick! :-)
>
> Kind Regards,
> Chris
>

> 2011/11/21 Liz Rea <lrea at nekls.org>
>
>> It is so sad to see the gift you gave us all fall into unfriendly hands.
>>
>> Do please let us know when the kitty is opened up for donations.
>>
>> Liz Rea
>> lrea at nekls.org
>>

>> On Nov 21, 2011, at 3:31 PM, Joann Ransom wrote:
>>
>> > As I am sure most of you are aware, Horowhenua Library Trust is the
>> birth place of Koha and the longest serving member of the Koha community.
>> Back in 1999 when we were working on Koha, the idea that 12 years later we
>> would be having to write an email like this never crossed our minds. It is
>> with tremendous sadness that we must write this plea for help to you, the
>> other members of the Koha community.
>> >
>> > The situation we find ourselves in, is that after over a year of
>> battling against it, PTFS/Liblime have managed to have their application
>> for a Trademark on Koha in New Zealand accepted. We now have 3 months to
>> object, but to do so involves lawyers and money. We are a small semi rural
>> Library in New Zealand and have no cash spare in our operational budget to
>> afford this, but we do feel it is something we must fight.
>> >
>> > For the library that invented Koha to now have to have a legal battle
>> to prevent a US company trademarking the word in NZ seems bizarre, but it
>> is at this point that we find ourselves.
>> >
>> > So, we ask you, the users and developers of Koha, from the birth place
>> of Koha, please if you can help in anyway, let us know.
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> >
>> > Jo.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Joann Ransom RLIANZA