[Koha] library without a librarian

hansbkk at gmail.com hansbkk at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 18:41:50 NZDT 2011

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 9:11 PM, Daniel Schwitzgebel
<daniel.schwitzgebel at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry but I don't understood.
> If I disable the the hold how the users can reserve a books?
> I also decided to place a computer in the library for the self checkout, i
> made some test and works.
> But how I can reserve a book without the holds system?

My understanding of what you mean is that you want to have a one-step
process that includes both reserving the book (placing a hold), and
making it unavailable for others to check out.

What I mean is that as far as the ILS is concerned your users won't
reserve the books at all - they will simply check out the book
instead, in the situation (time/place) where they would usually just
place a hold.

When they actually come and take the book off the shelf, they won't
need to do anything else, because it's already been checked out.

Doesn't that accomplish what you want?

You will have the problem of dealing with users that check the book
out in the system (instead of using holds) and then don't physically
take the book out of the shelf.

Worst case scenario, when the time comes for the book to be "returned"
and the patron gets notified, they can go into the system and check it
back in at that time.

You don't seem concerned about a lot of things that I would think come
up from not having a librarian involved, so maybe this wouldn't be a
problem for your use case.

HTH