[Koha] Cataloging Serials

Linda Culberson lculber at mdah.state.ms.us
Tue Mar 29 02:48:06 NZDT 2011

Paul,
You might want to look a that the RFC for Analytics to see if it will
fit your needs.
http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Talk:Analytic_Record_support.
Hopefully this will make it into 3.4, because it surely works for us,
and we did use MarcEdit to achieve what we needed.

Basically, what we are doing is creating a parent record for the serial
title with an item record for each issue, then having an analytical
record for specific articles that link back to its specific issue.

I'm afraid our koha server is not yet ready to be open to the public so
you can't see the record, but in our case the Journal of Mississippi
History has 300+ issues, which have been bound into 84 volumes (so we
have 84 "item" records") each with its own barcode.

For each the articles for which we require specific detailed records, we
create an analytic record that is basically a bibliographic (child)
record that ties back to the parent (Journal of Mississippi History)
record's item using the 773 field. So that if you such for a specific
article for which an analytic record has been created, you can go
directly to the item (issue) that contains that record.

The analytics (children) do not have item records So they wouldn't have
a 952. But they would have a 773.

The issues/items would all belong to the parent.

I'm sure that many archival/research organizations are in the same
situation as our institutions are, and I'm hoping that Koha will work
for for us.

Linda Culberson			lculber at mdah.state.ms.us
Archives and Records Services Division
Ms. Dept. of Archives & History