[Koha] Anyone working on a "simplified interface" for cataloging?

Elaine Bradtke eb at efdss.org
Wed Mar 23 01:11:07 NZDT 2011

The important thing is to make sure you've got your default framework
set up the way you want it first, and then use it to build the data
entry frameworks.  For non-MARC users, it's probably best to set up a
very specific framework for each type of material.  For instance, I
know one of ours will be for music scores, and another for collections
of separately published material bound together.  This is because the
coded fields require different things for different formats, and
they're also the most difficult fields for untrained cataloguers to
use.
Once you've got the framework set up, you can then build a template
record for each framework and set it to suppress in the OPAC.

That's the theory at any rate, I haven't gotten to that phase of the
project to see how well it works in practice.

My IT guru seems to think he can figure out a way to extract the
frameworks into a text file that can be edited outside of Koha and
then re-imported.  This would be faster than the current method of
deleting unwanted fields using the Admin interface.  This is rather
far down on the list of things to do at the moment, but if it works
I'll certainly share the method.
Elaine

On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 4:14 AM,  <hansbkk at gmail.com> wrote:
> Here is an old thread that might help - note the specifics apply to an
> older version, but it's still valid as a general guide.
>
> http://lists.katipo.co.nz/public/koha/2008-November/016058.html
>
> 2011/3/19 Indranil Das Gupta <indradg at gmail.com>:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've a need to position Koha 3.2 for a scenario where we are not going to
>> get trained catalogers / lib pros. We are planning to use MARC21 at the
>> back, but it would be great if the marc fields and tags can be hidden away
>> from the users.
>>
>> I vaguely remember seeing something last year from Jared Camins that he was
>> working on something like this - "easy cataloging interface"
>>
>> Any hints / tips?
>>
>> tia
>>
>> cheers
>> -indra
>>

>> --
>> Indranil Das Gupta
>>
>> Phone : +91-98300-20971
>> Blog    : http://indradg.randomink.org/blog
>> IRC      : indradg on irc://irc.freenode.net
>> Twitter : indradg

>> Please exchange editable Office documents only in ODF Format. No other
>> format is acceptable. Support Open Standards.
>>
>> For a free editor supporting ODF, please visit LibreOffice -
>> http://www.documentfoundation.org

Elaine Bradtke
Data Wrangler
VWML