[Koha] Group multiple items in a "box" for easy circulation

hansbkk at gmail.com hansbkk at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 17:14:06 NZDT 2011

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 8:15 AM, Jason O'Neil <jason.oneil at gmail.com> wrote:
> Items only need to belong to one box at a time.
>
>> If you're just using Koha to check it in and out as a single resource,
>> then IMO you can just create a new item type and you're good to go.
>
> The boxes are made up of different items that are already in the
> catalogue, and may one day return to being stand-alone items.  So they
> do have to have the ability to be treated as separate items - so
> creating a new item type alone isn't sufficient.

Just thinking while I'm writing - create a patron type for the box
with unlimited checkout privileges. Or perhaps more logically treat it
separately from, but similarly to a reference location. The idea is to
take the individual items out of circulation, but flagged as being
members of a box. That way if a box gets "disbanded" it's easy to put
them all back in circulation as individual resources, they are still
part of inventory etc.

Check the box in and out as a single resource, presumably the staff
has a paper-based checklist to check contents, keep using that.

Sorry I don't know the answer to your specific questions about lists,
but would suggest the above is a better way to work around the issue.

Someone with more experience may well have better suggestions on
handling this situation properly within Koha.