[Koha] scanning isbn number for circulation

Kurt Bodling kbodling at mountvernon.org
Fri Mar 4 03:48:20 NZDT 2011

Well, the way to do it - should you want to - would be simply to key in or scan in the ISBNs in the Koha barcode field 952 $p. That would be easier than mapping and re-mapping.

Koha would not allow duplicate in that field, so second copies and items with the same barcode number would send up error messages, and you'd have to come up with something else for those other copies. And key that new number in. And hope it doesn't conflict with a later item that has that invented number as its real ISBN.

And in "a pretty small library for a research institute" I would also be fairly sure that we would have or soon acquire items that don't have any ISBN at all: home-grown research reports, offprints of articles, recordings, etc.

So I'd say it's quite possible to do this (even though I wouldn't recommend it either). Just be prepared for the steep "down" side.

Kurt A. Bodling
Technical Services Librarian
George Washington's Mount Vernon
     Estate, Museum & Gardens