[Koha] Linux anti-virus software and other security issues

Mahesh T Pai paivakil at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 17:36:12 NZST 2011

Buster <storypage at gmail.com> writes:

 > So I guess my questions are, how do I answer the patron information concern,
 > and how do I answer the malware concern? How do the rest of you handle Linux
 > security concerns? What antivirus software do you use and from whence do you
 > get it?

Just stuck me -

Koha has a deb package. But I run Koha on Debian, and installed Koha
from sources.

At a very supervifical level While both the deb package and my personal
implementation uses practically identical concepts for security, the way
security is implemented is very different.

So, no way anybody can look for HKEY_LOCAL_SERVER_/Security/Admin/login
or whatever and modify it to gain root access. Possibility of
customising security frame work is practically infinite, and what you
need to secure down a GNU/Linux install (and hence, a Koha installation
on a Linux server) is a competent system administrator, who will make
choices for your environment.

Installing a software package and assuming that it will take care of
your security is like filling up your car with aviation fuel and
assuming that it can go as fast as a turbo prop air plane.

--
Mahesh T. Pai   ||