[Koha] Linux anti-virus software and other security issues

Buster storypage at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 05:43:27 NZST 2011

Hello, all.

We have selected Koha for our ILS and plan to run it in a virtual machine on
a Windows server. The contract goes before our City Council tomorrow night.
It is on the consent agenda, which means it will be voted on along with a
slew of other measures. There is no debate, just up or down vote, unless a
councilman has a concern.

A councilman has a concern.

He is the former head of our IT department, is a Windows guy, and dislikes
and distrusts anything Linux. His specific concern is security. Namely, he
is worried someone can hack into our system and steal patron information. He
is also concerned about mal-ware in general and wants us to install
antivirus software on it.

So I guess my questions are, how do I answer the patron information concern,
and how do I answer the malware concern? How do the rest of you handle Linux
security concerns? What antivirus software do you use and from whence do you
get it?

Please explain it to me in a way even a Windows guy with zero understanding
of Linux will understand it.

Thanks in advance,
Jim Maroon