[Koha] [greenstone-users] Koha integration

Anuradha.K.T. anu at ncsi.iisc.ernet.in
Wed Jun 15 22:08:07 NZST 2011

Dear Renate,

As you have mentioned, if you understand the theory behind integrating
Koha-Greenstone, you can implement it on your existing system. It was
first implemented by me using SRU technique for searching. At the time of
indexing (cataloguing) either you can write a script which takes the
metadata details from koha and indexes in Greenstone along with fulltext
document or use OAI-PMH concept for indexing in both Koha and Greenstone.
The implementation can be accessed at:

http://dharmaganja.ncsi.iisc.ernet.in/

Two workshops were conducted giving complete details of the integration of
Koha-Greenstone and Koha-Fedora in 2009. Workshop details can also be
accessed at the above mentioned URL. I have also tried using MySQL
database of Koha for indexing and searching full text documents. This is
also available at the above site.

The details are discussed in the following articles:

Anuradha, K.T. and Sivakaminathan, R. (2009), “Enhancing full text search
capability in library automation package: a case study with Koha and
Greenstone Digital Library Software”, paper presented at the International
Conference on Computer Science and Information Technology, Singapore,
28-29 October, available at:
http://dharmaganja.ncsi.iisc.ernet.in/documents/koha-gsdl.pdf

K.T. Anuradha, R. Sivakaminathan, P. Arun Kumar (2011) Open-source tools
for enhancing full-text searching of OPACs: Use of Koha, Greenstone and
Fedora. Program: electronic library and information systems Volume: 45
Issue: 2 2011

You can go through Greenstone wiki page also at:

http://wiki.greenstone.org/wiki/index.php/Koha_Greenstone_Integration

All the best in your integration effort.

Regards,
Anuradha

> Thanks for your mail. I had a look at version 8, but I would like to use
Greenstone 2.84.
> I am hesitant to install it on my existing Ubuntu Maverick installation
as a second install, as I read that it might change/corrupt my system. The
best would be to understand how to setup the integration in Koha and
Greenstone. I tried to get it working, but I get an error in the
building process in Greenstone with the version of Perl. I used the
OAIMetadata plugin. I am seeing forward to your new GSDL/Koha CD. Do you
know whether there is a recent version of Koha for Windows. The site where
I would like to use it has a Windows 7 installation.
> Until later.
> Regards
> Renate
>> Dear Renate,
>> Digital Library Network South Asia in collaboration with University of
Waikato has developed Live CD of Integration of Koha ILS with GSDL. This
To: Greenstone Team <greenstone_team at cs.waikato.ac.nz>
>> Cc: greenstone-users at list.scms.waikato.ac.nz
>> Good day,
>> I have created a collection which should integrate with KOHA for full
text retrieval using the OAI and Metadata plugin. I checked the KOHA
server and the records can be viewed. However, when I want to build it on
Ubuntu Maverick, it can't be build due to an error in perl
libraries.
>> Using Greenstone 2.84 for Linux. I am running Greenstone as root. Are
there permissions which should be changed?
>> Here is the error message:
>> Thanks for any help.
>> Regards
>> Renate
>> Command: perl -S /var/www/greenstone/bin/script/full-import.pl -gli
-language en -collectdir /var/www/greenstone/collect wimsa
>> import.pl> Removing current contents of the archives directory...
import.pl> Global file scan checking
>> directory: /var/www/greenstone/collect/wimsa/import
>> import.pl> MetadataXMLPlugin: processing metadata.xml
>> import.pl> OAIMetadataXMLPlugin: Checking OAI server
>> (http://127.0.1.1:8080/cgi bin/koha/oai.pl) connection
>> import.pl> perl: symbol lookup
>> error: /var/www/greenstone/perllib/cpan/auto/HTML/Parser/Parser.so:
undefined symbol: Perl_Tstack_sp_ptr
>> import.pl> Error: Failed to run: perl -S import.pl -removeold "-gli"
"-language" "en" "-collectdir" "/var/www/greenstone/collect" "wimsa"
import.pl> Command failed.
> believed to be clean.

Dr.Anuradha.K.T.
National Centre for Science Information