[Koha] Guidance

G. Laws glawson at rhcl.org
Wed Jun 8 09:41:26 NZST 2011

Hi Tim, and welcome to the Koha community.

In a slightly different order than your questions below:

1. Yes, I would recommend Koha 3.4, and it's completely appropriate for
a small school library. Version 3.2 is still supported, but 3.4 is much
improved and it's pointless to start with an older version, do the work
to configure it, then decide, probably quite quickly, to upgrade to 3.4.

2. Z39.50 commonly uses port 210, TCP, but apparently UDP is part of the
spec.  Here's a quick link I found:
http://www.speedguide.net/port.php?port=210
It's actually interesting to watch Wireshark while the computer is doing
a Z39.50 search--you'll see the TCP connections.

3. Koha vs "Liblime" Koha (Harley) . That's a political decision, but
clearly the Koha community promotes what we see as the "real" Koha, the
best source of information for which is:

http://koha-community.org

Only a couple of people on the IRC chat or the Koha mailing list will be
able to help you much with the Liblime version; we are enthusiastic
supporters of "community" Koha. I think it's relatively safe to say that
Koha is under much more active development by a wider group of people
than Liblime's ILS. Don't be misled by the version numbers for each;
they are not comparative.

4. I don't know much about using Active Directory with Koha, but someone
else might respond to that. If not, wait a while and ask again; I know
some work has been done with LDAP as recently as v3.2 to address some
issues.

5. Your questions are welcome!

If you don't mind, would you care to share the name of your school
and/or your location in the UK? We all like to know where Koha is being
used. :)

Greg