[Koha] Why are there 2 versions?

Paul paul.a at aandc.org
Sat Jun 4 12:38:47 NZST 2011

At 10:52 AM 6/4/2011 +1200, Joann Ransom wrote:
>A wee word of caution from someone who has been badly stung and never want
>to be again ...
>Horowhenua stayed on Koha 1.x for years and years and years because it was
>perfect for our needs and we didn't see any value in sifting to 2.x
>.  This was largely because the introduction of Marc broke our FRBR system
>but also because our acquisitions module worked beautifully and error free.

Joann,

Thanks for the reply. Might I suggest that your "word of caution" reflects
the point that I was making. You write: "didn't see any value in shifting"
... "worked beautifully."  My terminology was "if it ain't broke, don't fix
it."

>Slowly it dawned on us that  we were on an abandoned fork. The main
>project had raced on and got better and better.

If, as you write 'abandoned' = 'beautiful'|'perfect for our needs', then
did 'better and better' = new features that were part of your requirements?
[and I'm not sure what an 'abandoned fork' really means; whether you simply
add logos and change layout schemes in CSS, or modify MySQL structure and
delete perl modules, every customization is a 'fork' that is not followed
by the community at large. We probably all do it without feeling abandoned.]

>When we did make the jump to 2.x it was hideous - everything was "broken"
>in our eyes.
>  Shifting to 3.2 was another big jump; again we had left it too long and
> did not stay current.

Were you in a production environment? 'Hideous' and 'broken' are anathema
to me (but my IT training and experience for a quarter of a century from
the late 1950s was in national defense) and since then I have always
attempted to programme to [end] users needs. I think you're saying that
'stay current' was the cause of your dilemma - a possibility that I wish to
avoid.

>So from now on this is my vow :) I intend to always upgrade to the current
>stable version, limit customizations to an absolute minimum, and when I do
>commission enhancements I also fund for that work to be incorporated into
>the main trunk (and yes it doubles the cost but I want to be certain I am
>always swimming in the main Koha stream).

I take my hat off to you (and to those who can double your budget), but
would suggest that while swimming in the main stream is ideologically
perfect, some of us may be constrained to more pragmatic surroundings. The
charity that I work for looked for a low [to reasonable internal] cost
solution to its needs. We have succeeded *thanks_to_Koha* and consider
additional bells and whistles to be a low priority luxury. Your [and
others'] mileage might well vary.

In peace, friendship and respect,
Paul
Tired old sys-admin.