[Koha] Koha question for archives

Linda Culberson lculber at mdah.state.ms.us
Sat Jul 30 01:53:41 NZST 2011

This is a question for the government archives out there using Koha but
also for anyone else who might have some ideas.   We have thousands of
state Supreme Court Case records that are called for by case number.
They were not in our old catalog and therefore aren't in Koha simply
because of the sheer volume of them.  They are heavily used, as you can
imagine, and so need to be in the catalog so we can track their use
along with our our other holdings.   Patrons can only have one box at a
time, which is the rule for all of our archival materials.

I'm thinking of creating fast add records using the case name as the
title and the case number as the call number. There is of course, a box
and/or folder number depending on the complexity of the case, and we
have all that information in a database that I can pull from to create
the biblios and items.

I know that other archives use Koha, but I'm unclear as to whether other
archives are using circulation (which is why we use an ILS)  and how
they handle really huge collections such as our state supreme court.

Please feel free to contact me off list, as this may not be of interest
to many. Thanks in advance.
Linda Culberson      lculber at mdah.state.ms.us
Archives and Records Services Division
Ms. Dept. of Archives & History
P. O. Box 571
Jackson, MS 39205-0571
Telephone:  601/576-6873   Fax:  601/576-6824