[Koha] Koha wiki maintenance change

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Sun Jan 30 15:15:59 NZDT 2011

Galen Charlton wrote:
> To combat a recent spate of spamming on the wiki [1], in order to
> edit a page the wiki now requires that your account has a confirmed
> email address.  [...]

Is that barrier to entry really necessary?  It looked like the recent
spammers were creating pages - could page creation alone be restricted,
or was there page-editing spamming that others cleaned before I saw?

And it looks like spam page creation is continuing unhindered by this
new requirement, but it prevents me doing anything about them.
Cheers m'dears(!)

I remember what we were told:

"There are many extensions which provide spam protection in MediaWiki.
[...] the Koha community should not need to use spam defences which
are not implemented reasonably."
  -- Thomas Dukleth, 22 Apr 2010

Perhaps the MediaWiki supporters could suggest a more reasonable spam
defence?

Frustrated,
Past Koha Release Manager (2.0), LMS programmer, statistician, webmaster.
Available for hire for Koha work http://www.software.coop/products/koha