[Koha] Conference timing, was: Access 2011: the Library is Open

MJ Ray mjr at software.coop
Fri Jan 28 04:58:51 NZDT 2011

Nicole Engard wrote:
> One thing to note, many of the KohaCon conference proposals are for
> October - I'd ask that we move them to September so that we can all go
> to the October conferences here in North America.

If my memory serves me right, that may have financial consequences:
early September is still holiday season in the UK (so accommodation is
more expensive then), whereas colleges return later in September (so
college conference centres have fewer rooms and other conference
venues raise their prices).  There used to be a lecture break in
October (reading week - not sure how much it still exists) which meant
conference venues dropped in price again briefly then.

Of course, if we get lots of sponsorship, money is no object and
almost anything is possible.

But should we meekly accept the North America conference calendar?
I missed a significant UK conference to attend KohaCon10 instead.
There are always other conferences, but KohaCon is the best!

Regards,
Past Koha Release Manager (2.0), LMS programmer, statistician, webmaster.
Available for hire for Koha work http://www.software.coop/products/koha