[Koha] Call number issue

M. Brooke Helman abesottedphoenix at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 26 16:54:13 NZDT 2011

Salvete!

1.       The cataloging gods won’t be offended.

       The Cataloguing Gods or St. Minutia? They *are* different entities, and
honestly, we need to have a fine understanding in order to honour the proper
classification. How else to pay homage, after all?

BUT, if your call number is in the 050 you should check the indicators to make
sure they reflect whether or not the item is in the Library of Congress and
whether they assigned the classification number.  You’ll  find a good number of
records with the number in the 050 _ 4  (second indicator “4” indicating that LC

didn’t assign number).

        (In seriousness, this would constitute a textbook response IMHO, so I
wholeheartedly concur.)

2.       You don’t have to preserve the integrity of LC cataloging if you can
make an improvement on it. At least, I don’t. It isn’t a sacred text, after all.

          Shhhh, we're so close to that institution a whisper will carry across
the water ;) But back to serious business, cataloguing rules are meant to be
tailored locally, which is a line most prefer not to walk. It doesn't make it
wrong, it makes you smart. :)

3.       I don’t know why the 090 wouldn’t appear.  I pull records from OCLC
rather than a Z93.50, and the 090 fields appear.

            Check yer system preferences under administration.

Cheers,
Brooke