[Koha] Web hosting

Weinheimer Jim j.weinheimer at aur.edu
Wed Jan 26 09:15:49 NZDT 2011

Randall Rowe wrote:
> Why not host it on the machine you have it installed on?
> If your LAN has access to the internet through a firewall, simply port forward your koha installation to an available outside IP.

While I agree with this, people need to be aware of some of the problems of placing a server on the Internet, where it is vulnerable to all kinds of hack attacks from porno websites to "roaming" bittorrents. At the minimum, I would suggest working with the robots.txt file to disallow Google, Yahoo, etc. from hitting your computer, since they can hit very hard, and in fact, I learned the hard way by having my little server crash repeatedly until I finally shut them out. Making very regular backups is absolutely necessary!

Running your own web server is a learning experience!

James L. Weinheimer  j.weinheimer at aur.edu
Director of Library and Information Services
The American University of Rome
Rome, Italy
First Thus: http://catalogingmatters.blogspot.com/
email:  gmc at esilibrary.com