[Koha] Flood recovery in Brisbane - pulling data from Koha

Joann Ransom jransom at library.org.nz
Wed Jan 19 17:36:03 NZDT 2011

Hi Amanda,

I should think you will be able to run any number of reports over the Koha
data to haul out whatever 'results' you need so long as the backend data is
available. It is easy to manipulate reports data in excel but the 64,000
line limit is a trap for young players (Access is better).

You will probably also want to know the stock which was not currently on
issue or loan. A last seen date might be useful too if you need to justify
that the stock list is current ie not 'lost'.

You may also want to extract the data about cost and list prices and date of
purchase in order to get a sense of the value of the lost stock. You may
need to sort by purchase date and claim 90% of the value of stock less than
1 year old but only 10% of stock 9 years old etc.

Good luck

Cheers Jo.

2011/1/19 Amanda and Hugh Gardner <hagardner at bigpond.com>

>  Hi All,
>
> I'm hoping I can get some advice with regard to pulling data from Koha.
>
> My library has recently been completely inundated during the Brisbane
> floods and nothing was saved except the library catalogue on Koha!  I am the
> current librarian, however, I have only been in the position for four weeks
> and have not had a chance to learn the ins and outs of Koha.  I am also not
> a techie so am relying on IT staff to assist with my queries which has not
> proved successful as they are off recovering other parts of the
> organisation's network.
>
> In order to create an inventory of the library collection for insurance
> purposes I would like to export data from the following fields and dump them
> into an Excel create an spreadsheet.
>
> The data I need are from the following fields:
>
> Item type
> Title
> Publisher
> Date
> ISBN
> ISSN
> Item count
> Location
> Barcode
>
> Can this be done from the back end of Koha and if so, how do I do it?
>
> Any advice would be greatly appreciated, keeping in mind I am not familiar
> with this database at all and will have no IT support.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Amanda

Joann Ransom RLIANZA
Head of Libraries,
Horowhenua Library Trust.

*Q: Why is this email three sentences or less?
A: http://three.sentenc.es*