[Koha] Editing library code

Chris Cormack chris at bigballofwax.co.nz
Tue Jan 4 11:29:41 NZDT 2011

On 4 January 2011 11:24, Paul <paul.a at aandc.org> wrote:
> At 09:23 AM 1/4/2011 +1300, you wrote:
>>On 4 January 2011 09:16, Paul <paul.a at aandc.org> wrote:
>> > Happy new year to all.
>> >
>> > Q: How do I edit our "Library Code" (koha-admin / branches / modify
>> > library), please? It does not appear in an editable text-box.
>> >
>> > [we originally - and erroneously - entered our code with the "Canadian
>> > prefix" Ca, as CaOPIACS, and now need only OPIACS.]
>> >
>>Hi Paul
>>
>>Happy new year, the short answer is, you can't. Not in the web
>>interface. Because to do so means updating a whole pile of things, the
>>borrowers table, items table, accountlines, reserves, the marc in
>>biblioitems etc.
>>
>>Does it actually matter, the description is displayed in most places ... ?
>
> Chris (and Jane),
>
> Thanks for replying, but not what we are looking for. The main reason to
> change is that a search at Library and Archives Canada
> <http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/illcandir-bin/illsear/l=0/c=1> relies
> on "OPIACS" and anyone searching for "CaOPIACS" cannot find us in the ILL
> system; also OPIACS is our "authority."
>
> What we have done is to set up a second library called OPIACS (totally
> identical to the first CaOPIACS), but now, despite being prompted to delete
> the first one, it just will not delete. So the question is - should I just
> grep CaOPIACS and replace wherever found, or is there a more elegant and
> reliable (non-gui) method?

Its in the database, so Im not sure how you would grep that. The
reason you can't delete it is because it is in use, probably in one of
the tables you don't care about below.

> We do not care at this point about "borrowers table, items table,
> accountlines, reserves, etc" because we have reentered all our holdings
> (with OPIACS as required in the data) in the second (valid) library after
> purging all biblio and item records in the first, and so far have not
> entered any patron, budget, etc data -- so there is nothing to lose.

The trick is to find what table has a row (or rows) that reference the
old code, update those rows, then you can delete the library code.

> I am sure we'll be purging again; we're in "pre-production mode" and
> refining our MarcEdit templates and mappings, and even 20,000 books only
> take a couple of minutes to delete and reload (plus zebra cron job.)

If you purge everything thats fine, if all you are doing is purging
the bibliographic data, that is going to leave rows in other tables
that may reference the old code.

Chris