[Koha] ItemType icons and "biblio vs biblioitems" revisited (sorry)

Owen Leonard oleonard at myacpl.org
Fri Feb 18 04:49:47 NZDT 2011

> Well, I expect that the biblio records will be getting updated
> frequently, and since I also plan to use virtual shelves (lists) and
> have members using tagging, item-level item-types seem the way to go
> rather than duplicate biblios, right?

It's really just the frequency of updates that is an issue. Having
item-level item types or not doesn't much affect lists and tagging.

> Plus (correct me if I'm wrong) this eliminates my having to choose for

You can choose whether Advanced Search uses collection code or item
type either way, if I'm not mistaken.

> Back to icons then, is there a good biblio-level field to indicate in
> the search results (ideally with an icon) that a given biblio has
> available (child items with) format A only, or formats A+B or A+C?
> Fortunately there aren't that many possible combinations. . .

In terms of search results, there is no good way to indicate multiple
formats if you're using item-level information. It's a common
complaint and we don't have a good solution. The best you can get is
to turn on XSLT and see a biblio-level material type (book, audio,
etc).

 -- Owen

--
Web Developer