[Koha] Please shutdown the site of Koha Windows version

Tomas Cohen Arazi tomascohen at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 05:02:31 NZDT 2011

Email sent to him (he is aware of the problem, but has no time to
dedicate). If you contact him he will know what you're talking about.

Regards
To+

==========

Hi Rob.

On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 4:35 PM, Rob Weir <robweir at alum.drexel.edu> wrote:
> Hi Tomas.
> I am the correct person and would be glad to work with you to get updated
> information posted on the site. I've been thinking for a long time that the
> information should be changed to point Windows users to a virtual appliance
> solution (using linux in the vm) for running Koha on their windows hosts.
> Either that, or look at the Strawberry Perl distro to see if it supports all
> the necessary Perl modules to run Koha on windows.

That's good news to me, as its something we where a bit worried in the
devel list. Many people are reporting "problems with koha" and after
several mail posts we get to know they're using it on windows, and an
obsolete version...

> My life has gotten too busy to do either of the above ideas.
>
> So what were you thinking? How would you like to proceed? How can I help?

I think there are two different paths you could follow:

Option #1) Keep the site, but remove pointers to outdated/obsolete
info. If you think you need to have a site specifically for posting
info on koha running on windows, I can help you with the new links
(perhaps something more like a blog). I would even post something very
explicit about v2.2.9 being obsolete, so we stop confusing potential
users, until we reach a decision. Your site appears as the first
result in a google search for "koha on windows".

Here are some links that should be changed:
- Koha homepage: http://koha-community.org
- Koha wiki: http://wiki.koha-community.org/
- Koha documentation (includes pointers to the wiki):
http://koha-community.org/documentation/
- The latest stable version of koha is 3.2.7
(http://koha-community.org/koha-3-2-7/)

On the wiki's Documentation category
(http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Category:Documentation) there is
a section "Setting Up Koha in Virtual Environment + Using That as a
Development Environment" that could be copied and refactored to be
instructions for running koha on windows, on a VM.

Option #2) Shut the site down, and create a section on the
http://koha-community.org (or in the wiki) site dedicated to exploring
the issues around running koha on Windows. You could propose yourself
to keep it updated or something like that. I would contact you with
the person in charge of maintaining the official site.

I think it depends on whether you can manage to keep the site updated
or not. I have my own koha blog (http://blogs.unc.edu.ar/koha) which I
manage to keep updated for our librarians basically.

Again I'm glad to have reached you to talk about this.
Regards