[Koha] Improving permissions on lists (virtual shelves)

Nicole Engard nengard at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 02:04:46 NZDT 2011

Comments in line below:

On Mon, Dec 5, 2011 at 5:42 AM, Marcel de Rooy <M.de.Rooy at rijksmuseum.nl>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Still hoping to get some feedback on this subject, I would now propose the
> following. Please respond to the list, if you agree or disagree.
>
> 1  Do not allow to create a public list in the OPAC. (Only private lists.)
>  Public lists are only created by staff users in the staff client.

I think this should be a preference that the librarians can choose from the
following options :

   1. Allow anyone to create public lists without moderation
   2. Allow patrons to create public lists with moderation
   3. Allow only staff (with permission) to create public lists

> 2  Add three permission options to any list: a) Allow adding entries b)
> Allow deleting your own entries (that you added)  and c) Allow deleting
> entries that someone else added.
>   This makes the distinction between public list and open list no longer
> needed and adds some refinement in lists management.
>   Only the owner of the list can change these permissions.

In addition I'd say we need general staff list permissions which we don't
have right now.

> 3  Add a new (opac) feature to private lists: Share a list (with another
> patron).
>   Let the user share access to a list by Koha sending an email with a URL
> including some (temporary) invitation key. When the invited patron clicks
> that URL (when logged in) he gains access (in accordance with the described
> permission options for that specific list).
>   The invited patron can always 'delete' the shared list, i.e. delete the
> share.
>   The owner can 'unshare' the list and remove all shares for that list.

I like!

> 4  With respect to user privacy, a feature may be added in staff client to
> moderate shared list names.

Right now patron names don't show on lists at all - not sure if we need
them really.

> 5  Possibly, libraries do not want patrons sharing lists. So the option
> could be disabled with a preference. In that case points 2 and 3 still
> apply.

Yes, preferences to turn things off are always good.