[Koha] [Koha-devel] Koha move to 3.4

Paul Poulain paul.poulain at biblibre.com
Wed Apr 20 01:19:19 NZST 2011

Le 19/04/2011 15:01, Linda Culberson a écrit :
> All,
Hi Linda,
> How is  the recommended way to move to the upcoming 3.4?
First of all the recommended way is to wait until 3.4 is officially here ;-)
>   We were thinking of having two instances. One with our current
> 3.02.02.003 and one with 3.4.  Is that a good way to do it or should
> we upgrade to 3.2.7 and go from there?
I think it doesn't matter. The database update will take care of this
smoothly.
(For reader under 3.0, I think it should work too, but I suggest to
switch to 3.2 before anyway. For readers running 2.x, wow, upgrade to
3.0, then 3.2 then 3.4)
> Can we move our data or is it better to do a fresh load?  How
> different is the database in 3.4?
the DB is quite different but the upgrade takes care of DB upgrade.
However, depending on your size & how critical it is to have things live
working smoothly, it's always wise to have a test/integration server
before upgrading...
> Your advice to this newbie is greatly appreciated.
Another question you could ask yourself is:
* what's important for me in the 3.4 ? (which killer feature I'm waiting
for impatiently)
* which risk do I accept (ie: if there is a problem that prevents me to
work, how long/critical can it be ?)
* which ressources do I have to solve a problem

Depending on the answers to the previous questions, it may be
better/wise to wait for 3.4.1 or 3.4.2, or even 3.4.4 !
To summarize: "if it works, don't fix it" ;-)

--
Paul POULAIN
http://www.biblibre.com