[Koha] An enhancement to messaging preferences?

Robin Sheat robin at catalyst.net.nz
Tue Apr 19 00:24:48 NZST 2011

Op maandag 18 april 2011 23:46:28 schreef Nicole Engard:
> You are right that the lists now look like the search results, but
> they do not have the RSS feed by default. There are however custom RSS
> feeds that you can create for any types of content

RSS feeds are great, but most people don't know about them or what they are.

A cron job that runs weekly, bi-weekly & monthly, looks up the people who have
mentioned that they want to receive new items at that frequency of a set of
types, takes the output similar to that made by the RSS generator, and fires
it off to them would a) be worthwhile and b) a fun project to implement, I
think.

You could also roll other things into it, e.g. news that's been published to
the OPAC within the selected timespan, or have a special notice section for
emails to make it really easy for libraries to set up newsletter-style things
with news and new items, customised to what that user wants to see.

Bonus points if there is also added the feature to do librarian reviews and
have these included with the items if they're available (as STDC does here:
http://libraryplus.blogspot.com/ but actually attached to the record.)

Of course, now it's becoming less of a medium-sized project and more of a big
one :)

As much as I wish everyone would just use RSS, I don't see it happening (hell,
I have an RSS reader open pretty much all the time, and forget to check it
more than once every week or two.) However, everyone (almost) understands
email and knows how to work it.

--
Robin Sheat
Catalyst IT Ltd.