[Koha] Koha question about database fields / using scripts and sql vs web interface

Linda Culberson lculber at mdah.state.ms.us
Sat Sep 11 01:19:16 NZST 2010

Thanks, Zeno and Chris.
I tend to work in SQL more than the web interface since I'm old and gray
and more used to the "command line" way of doing things.  I even love vi
if that tells you anything.  I  had wondered some about the
documentation, since it  sometimes seems to assume that only the web
interface is safe to be used.

  Another example is the loading of bibliographic records.  For example,
we used Zeno's bulkmarcimport.pl script rather than the web interface,
finding it much better.  I understand that the web interface is easier
for most people, but some of the documentation wording makes it sound
like there is only the web interface way of doing something.  I'm more
the Perl  "There is more than one way to do it"  type.  I haven't been
sure to what extent this is acceptable in the koha community, making me
uneasy because we're going to need to do quite a bit of customization to
make koha work in our archival setting.

So, I thank you for the clarification and your patience with a Koha newbie.

Linda Culberson			lculber at mdah.state.ms.us
Archives and Records Services Division
Ms. Dept. of Archives&  History
P. O. Box 571