[Koha] iphone/android scanner apps?

Chris Cormack chrisc at catalyst.net.nz
Sat Oct 16 12:52:51 NZDT 2010

* david at lang.hm (david at lang.hm) wrote:
> has anyone thought of having iphone/andoid apps to act as bar-code
> scanners and handling infrastructure tasks (shelving, checkin, etc)
>
> I know I've heard of such apps that take pictures of the bar code, decode
> it and do various things with it, with the prevalence of such phones and
> the relative scarcity of dedicated bar-code scanners, it seems like having
> something like this would be handy.

Hi David

Funny you should mention that, yes we have. In fact we are using an
android app + koha to circulate conference attendees at Kohacon.

Reed from my work has built a fairly rudimentary back working webscan
tool that works just fine with Koha's circulation module.

Each attendee is going to have a qr code, which maps to an item in the
Koha catalogue and we will 'issue' them out to the conference venue at
the registration desk.

Course there is no reason that if this works well enough you couldn't
use this for real.

I think Reed is planing to polish it a bit more then put it out there
for people to use.

Hope this helps

Chris

--