[Koha] Fwd: LibLime ideas on a Koha Software Foundation

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Fri Oct 15 13:50:08 NZDT 2010

david at lang.hm wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Oct 2010, MJ Ray wrote:
> > david at lang.hm wrote:
> >> what software in Ubuntu are you not allowed to modify?
> >
> > Please ask on an FSF or FSFE list.  It's off-topic here.
>
> you are the one making the claim that the software shipped with Ubuntu is
> not allowed to be modified.

And that has nothing to do with its topicality.  There is such software.
In general, see http://www.ubuntu.com/project/about-ubuntu/licensing
but an FSF or FSFE list will have people far better on the specifics.

> > 2. as you correctly guess, firefox is not free software because of the
> > copyright licence of some files, which is why there's icecat & co;
>
> it's not copyright license on the files, it's thr trademark enforcement.

Apparently I'm out of date, but I don't remember a trademark problem.
http://glandium.org/blog/?p=1032 says it was "due to copyright issues"
although it also says it's been solved recently which is good news
that I didn't know, although the devil may be in the detail.

> In that case, I believe that you don't want Koha to be free software, [...]

Please don't write silly and insulting things.  I want Koha to be free
software, both now and in the future, which is why having (a) robust
host corp(s) rather than a company sockpuppet matters so much to me.

I'm disappointed that the suggestion of a Moz-Corp-style KSF-owned PTFS
was cut without comment ;-)
Past Koha Release Manager (2.0), LMS programmer, statistician, webmaster.
Available for hire for Koha work http://www.software.coop/products/koha