[Koha] Fwd: LibLime ideas on a Koha Software Foundation

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Fri Oct 15 11:28:42 NZDT 2010

david at lang.hm wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Oct 2010, MJ Ray wrote:
> > A foundation 40%-controlled by Liblime doesn't seem independent to me,
> > so I feel it should be moved, but I can't think of how to name where
> > it should go.  Does a vendor tie seem in keeping with a FOSS project
> > host corporation to anyone?
>
> it's actually very common, think about Fedora, Ubuntu, SuSE to name just
> three.

Fedora, Ubuntu and SuSE seem to be dependent company projects of
RedHat, Canonical and Novell respectively.  Also, Ubuntu wasn't
entirely FOSS last I checked and SuSE was and wasn't at various times.

(I had to double-check Fedora because the Fedora Project looks like a
stand-alone project host at first glance, but now I'm pretty sure
there is only RedHat and no project host corporation.  That's quite a
marketing achievement.)

So does this also suggest that a dependent company project might
not remain entirely FOSS, too?

Regards,
Past Koha Release Manager (2.0), LMS programmer, statistician, webmaster.
Available for hire for Koha work http://www.software.coop/products/koha