[Koha] Fixing Default Item Types - Conversion Question

Chris Hobbs chobbs at nhusd.k12.ca.us
Mon Oct 11 12:04:16 NZDT 2010

  On 10/10/10 2:54 PM, Chris Cormack wrote:
> 2010/10/9 Chris Hobbs<CHobbs at nhusd.k12.ca.us>:
>> Is there a way for me to fix the Default item types for our biblios en
>> masse? Our biblioitems records have the correct item type from our
>> conversion, but every time we add a new item type it defaults to our '0'
>> type (Art Print).
> There are 2 places where itemtype is set, either at
> biblioitems.itemype or items.itype
> There is a systempreference which controls which one is used.
>
> I would recommend using the item level itemtypes.
That is our setting, but I think I did a poor job of explaining our
problem. The real issue is that I didn't populate the 942c (or 942n)
sub-fields when I imported our MARC records, so those are unset. If
somebody edits an existing MARC record, 942c is defaulting to our
itemtype 0, which is Art Print, unless the cataloger is paying attention
and edits 942c in addition to whatever else she went in to edit. Later,
when they go to add a new item of that biblio, the item-level itype
becomes Art Print unless they notice and change it.

Since we have no biblios with multiple item types associated with them
(we create a different biblio for each media type of a title), I'd like
to set the 942c sub-field based on an example item attached to that
biblio. *If* there were an itemtype in the biblio table, the pseudo-SQL
might look something like this:

update biblio set itemtype=(select top 1 itype from items where
items.biblionumber=biblio.biblionumber)

Hopefully that helps explain what I'm after. Thanks for the help!

Chris

--
Chris Hobbs
Director, Technology