[Koha] SQL field lengths

Paul paul.a at aandc.org
Tue Nov 30 10:26:52 NZDT 2010

At 03:38 PM 11/29/2010 -0500, Chris Nighswonger wrote:
>On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 3:31 PM, Owen Leonard
><<mailto:oleonard at myacpl.org>oleonard at myacpl.org> wrote:
>... The bad news is you'll still have to update your
>spreadsheets to replace phrases like "marine biology" with a
>corresponding less-than-10-letter code.
>
>The not-so-bad-news is that you could whip up a Perl script to parse
>through your spreadsheets and add the additional column along with
>populating it properly.

and Susan Bennett added
>I may be wrong, so anyone out there with more knowledge please correct,
>but I don't think you can use spaces in the ccode so changing the length
>wont help. Can't you do a simple find and replace?

First, are spaces allowed in the 10 character CCODE? Are there any other
restrictions (numerics, underlines, hyphens, etc)?  I find nothing (easily)
in the documentation. As a comparison, the LOC code allows 80 characters
including (at least) spaces.

For various historical reasons we have nearly two hundred "categories"
spread across 468 spreadsheets - that would be a possible 100,000 "simple
search and replace" operations ;={  and I've never had much success with
Perl looking for entries in a specific column of a spreadsheet where
obviously the "category name" could also appear in the title, keywords and
reviews which we obviously do not want to modify.

So I'll probably end up attempting to modify the SQL parameter for field
length (a task which, from past experience with Oracle, I am not looking
forward to.)

This is the first major hiccough we have encountered with the data
migration and at the moment is a show-blocker.

Thanks to you all - all suggestions, etc are warmly welcomed.

Paul