[Koha] cart button - change or remove

Chris Cormack chrisc at catalyst.net.nz
Thu Nov 25 23:38:12 NZDT 2010

I suggest looking at this http://www.myacpl.org/koha/?p=160

> My boss has taken an extreme dislike to the 'cart' button.  He would
> like it removed, or at least called something else (still pondering
> about what to change it to).
> I have experimented with them both, and there seems to be very little
> difference between the cart function and the list function.  Am I
> wrong in this?

Yes.

Lists are persistent and can be made public, ie others can see them and
the last longer than a session. The cart is private, and only lasts as
long as you have the browser open.

The cart is exactly like a shopping cart at a supermarket, once you
leave your cart is empty. Whereas librarians can make lists, or users
can make lists and they last until they are deleted. Often a library
will use the lists to showcase a part of their collection. Or showcase
new books etc.
eg
http://www.library.org.nz/cgi-bin/koha/opac-shelves.pl?viewshelf=58&sortfield=

Chris