[Koha] RFC Discussion

Thomas Dukleth kohalist at agogme.com
Mon Nov 22 20:48:17 NZDT 2010

Reply inline:

On Sun, November 21, 2010 15:00, Magnus Enger wrote:
> On 19 November 2010 00:54, Thomas Dukleth <kohalist at agogme.com> wrote:
>>> But I still think it would be a good idea to specify that this
>>> Cataloguing-category is for Cataloguing RFCs... Any thoughts on that?
>>>

>> In MediaWiki categories need appropriate names to avoid semantic
>> confusion
>> and ensure that they are used in an appropriate way.  If you intend for
>> category to be used only for RFCs related to cataloguing, give the
>> category an appropriate name such as 'cataloguing RFCs'.
>>
>> Category parent / child relationships will not save you from ambiguity
>> and
>> if merely using 'Cataloguing' as a category name for RFCs relating to
>> cataloguing.  In using such a general name you will have taken a
>> perfectly
>> good category name which most people will want to use for cataloguing
>> generally.  The actual structure of categories is flat allowing them to
>> have multiple parent/child relationships to other categories which does
>> not provide for some particular use unless identified in the name.
>
> I agree. I think there should be a category called something like
> "Cataloguing RFCs", which has both "Cataloguing" and "RFCs" as
> parents.

The Category Breadcrumb extension is not displaying all the categories
correctly when categories have multiple parents.  There is no problem for
assigning multiple categories to non-category pages.  I have made a few
modifications to Category Breadcrumb but the hooks into MediaWiki are new
to me and I do not expect to be looking at the multiple parent category
bug for a while.

Meanwhile, I suggest linking categories to an additional parent by
manually adding code in the following form which creates a link to the
additional category without actually making the category an additional
parent category.  Note the leading colon after the second bracket.

See also [[:Category:Additional Parent Category]].

Furthermore, adding categories with templates had been creating problems
which others had noticed with minor variations on category names for the
same concept such as both singular and plural forms and uncaught
misspellings.  I have fixed the RFC template and have been adding
categories Koha component names for RFCs based on the Koha component list
in Bugzilla.

Checking the correct category or categories from the category selection
tree under the editing text box is much easier and more reliable than free
typing a category name into a template.  New categories can always be
added with the following syntax.  Spaces in MediaWiki category names and
usernames are fine.  MediaWiki converts spaces to underscores when
appropriate.

[[Category:My new category]]

[...]

Thomas Dukleth