[Koha] RFC Discussion

Thomas Dukleth kohalist at agogme.com
Fri Nov 19 12:54:14 NZDT 2010

Reply inline:

On Thu, November 11, 2010 18:57, Magnus Enger wrote:
> On 11 November 2010 18:35, MJ Ray <mjr at phonecoop.coop> wrote:
>> Magnus Enger wrote:
>>>
>>> Hm, wouldn't it be better if they were in the category? I can't quite
>>> see why you would want to link to the category but not put the RFC in
>>> it?
>>
>> I didn't know how to do that from the template.  I've given it a go as
>> you describe at the same time as adding chris_n's voting note.
>
> That looks good to me, e.g.:
> http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Add_support_for_NORMARC
> And I have created Category:Cataloguing:
> http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Category:Cataloguing
>
> But I still think it would be a good idea to specify that this
> Cataloguing-category is for Cataloguing RFCs... Any thoughts on that?

In MediaWiki categories need appropriate names to avoid semantic confusion
and ensure that they are used in an appropriate way.  If you intend for a
category to be used only for RFCs related to cataloguing, give the
category an appropriate name such as 'cataloguing RFCs'.

Category parent / child relationships will not save you from ambiguity and
if merely using 'Cataloguing' as a category name for RFCs relating to
cataloguing.  In using such a general name you will have taken a perfectly
good category name which most people will want to use for cataloguing
generally.  The actual structure of categories is flat allowing them to
have multiple parent/child relationships to other categories which does
not provide for some particular use unless identified in the name.

[...]

Thomas Dukleth
Agogme
109 E 9th Street, 3D