[Koha] Koha Installation Docs

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Tue Nov 16 04:23:30 NZDT 2010

Nicole Engard pasted:
> bigbrovar Bobby: @nengard http://is.gd/h1Bhg I think it could be more
> detailed. lots of assumptions that the users is skilled in koha

That is.gd URL is the wiki page "Koha 3.2 on Debian Squeeze" where the
draft packages are being discussed.

> bigbrovar Bobby: @nengard we have a solidly working koha 3.0.6 on
> ubuntu 8.04 which I installed from source because the docs was top
> notch.

Well, those same "top notch" docs are updated for Koha 3.2 and still
available if you install from the main releases, though.  The packages
are another option, not a replacement.

> bigbrovar Bobby: @nengard another missing gap from this doc
> http://is.gd/h7vh6 is the lack of info on the koha commands
> koha-create etc no man pages nothing

Again, that is.gd link is the same wiki page.  I think everything will
have to have man pages before the packages leave draft state.

So, really, this is because someone has switched from using the
official releases to using the in-development packages and seems to
overreact to any problem during installation by nuking the whole thing
from orbit.  I'm not sure it's telling us anything we didn't know: the
packages and related instructions aren't polished for prime-time yet,
but some people might find them useful.  The release notes
http://koha-community.org/koha-3-2-0/
links to the tar.gz releases and not the packages yet.

Hope that helps,
Past Koha Release Manager (2.0), LMS programmer, statistician, webmaster.
Available for hire for Koha work http://www.software.coop/products/koha