[Koha] Follett migration

Msgr. Marion J. Makarewicz marmak3261 at att.net
Sun May 23 06:47:11 NZST 2010

Randy,

I'm hoping to move a small school library from Follett to Koha on a Fedora
12 system. The responses to the thread so far are enlightening. I've gotten
pretty far from just lurking and searching the archives and various install
docs and wikis. Along the way I have learned quite a lot of about sed and
perl to adapt a Follett export to an xml file of the biblio data to Koha.
I'm almost there but running into problems doing a bulk adding of items. I
don't think I quite have the required framework fully understood. This
http://wiki.koha.org/doku.php?id=here helped me get started. I hope to work
on the Zebra search capacity. I'm running into problems getting it to run as
a daemon. Fedora implements daemons a bit different from Debian and that is
a new level I have to understand.

I've installed MARCedit under wine, but haven't really been able to devote
time to effectively using that to migrate our data.

I will look into the Follett ODBC drivers that were suggested since I am
very familiar with Access and that will help me work with the circulation
and patron info.

I'm a self-taught linux guy, learned mainly by doing and installing a Linux
Terminal Server Project system at a small private school. This
http://www.kohadocs.org/koha_diary.html really helped me understand the
whole process of implementing an ILS and gave me courage to stark checking
it out with the goal to free us from a yearly contract and an outmoded
system.

My next step is to begin a brand new install on a Debian system and use git
to keep current. I hope to document this step by step.

Lastly, I'm still trying to get a picture of the meta-issues/conflicts of
the Koha project as represented by the koha.org and koha-community.org
split.

Good luck.

Marion J. Makarewicz
Visitation Inter-Parish School