[Koha] Encountering problem when creating a Chinese record

Koustubha Kale kmkale at anantcorp.com
Tue May 18 14:59:54 NZST 2010

 On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 7:02 AM, Henry Lam <henry at silas.org.sg> wrote:

> Dear all
>
> We have just installed a Koha 3.04 instance and wanted to test on
> whether it supports non-Latin scripts. We are using Marc21 as the
> encoding standards.  We have uploaded some Chinese records in the
> system and display of Chinese characters are perfect.  However, we
> have problem in  the searching of Chinese characters.  The result is
> not accurate.  The result list even contains non-Chinese records and
> with no words coincide with the transliteration from the Chinese
> characters being searched.   So I did an experiment of creating
> records with Chinese characters. I tried to create a new title with
> just 2 Chinese characters in the title field, when I saved the record,
> the following error msg came out:
>

> The following fatal error has occurred:
> Wide character in null operation at
> /usr/share/perl5/MARC/Charset/Table.pm line 96.
> Apache  Server version: Apache/2.2.12 (Ubuntu) Server built: Mar 9 2010
> 22:11:44
> Koha    3.00.04.019
> Koha DB 3.0004019
> MySQL   mysql Ver 14.14 Distrib 5.1.37, for debian-linux-gnu (x86_64)
> using EditLine wrapper
> OS      Linux 202-150-216-70 2.6.31-14-server #48-Ubuntu SMP Fri Oct 16
> 15:07:34 UTC 2009 x86_64
> Perl    5.010000
>

> What do you think the problem is?
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> Regards
> Henry

Henry,
1) re the error have a look at this..
http://lists.katipo.co.nz/public/koha/2009-May/018392.html
also pay close attention to the xml parser related section of install
document of your os in the source tarball.

2) regarding searching are you using zebra?
a) have you followed everything about encodings in
    http://wiki.koha.org/doku.php?id=encodingscratchpad
b) try to turn off queryfuzzy in system preferences
c) try to use ICU and reindex zebra

Regards,
Koustubha Kale
Anant Corporation

Contact Details :
Address  : 103, Armaan Residency, R. W Sawant Road, Nr. Golden Dyes Naka,
Thane (w),
        Maharashtra, India, Pin : 400601.
TeleFax  : +91-22-21720108, +91-22-21720109
Mobile     : +919820715876
Website  : http://www.anantcorp.com
Blog : http://www.anantcorp.com/blog/?author=2