[Koha] Question about GPLv3 and AGPLv3

Chris Nighswonger cnighswonger at foundations.edu
Fri May 14 13:59:56 NZST 2010

On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 9:22 PM, Bob Ewart <bob-ewart at att.net> wrote:
> Robin Sheat wrote:
>> Op vrijdag 14-05-2010 om 10:30 uur [tijdzone +1200], schreef Lars
>> Wirzenius:
>>> Doing that can be made really easy. So easy that it does not differ
>>> from
>>> the current way of installing Koha at all.
>>
>> Additionally, if it's only available on the intranet, I would suspect
>> (without having verified this) that you wouldn't have to make the
>> changes available on the internet.
>>

> I looked at the AGPLv3 License http://www.gnu.org/licenses/agpl.html
>
> What I think I read is that making the source available is necessary if
> I "convey" the program to someone else.  Since my modifications are only
> to print patron cards or spine labels in our local format, that doesn't
> seem likely.

Take a closer look at paragraph 13. This paragraph clearly applies to
any browser based software of which Koha is one.

That said, this paragraph also states: "your modified version must
prominently offer all users interacting with it remotely through a
computer network (if your version supports such interaction) an
opportunity to receive the Corresponding Source of your version by
providing access to the Corresponding Source from a network server at
no charge, through some standard or customary means of facilitating
copying of software."

So what Robin said is accurate. If your Koha is only accessible on
your local network, then the code would only have to be made available
to your users.

As Lars said: Functionality can easily be added to Koha to supply a
variety of ways to satisfy this requirement with relative ease.

> The question then becomes; if I wanted to show those changes as examples
> of how to make patron cards with a logo, patron name, expiration date
> etc., can I do that without having to make available the whole package?

The best way to do this in any case would be to submit a patch to
patches at koha.org for inclusion in the official distribution of Koha.
I'm sure there would be many who would be interested in a css method
of accomplishing these things.

Kind Regards,
Chris